Monday, May 29, 2006

No, Really! Who did Jesus Claim To Be Anyway?

No, my feelings are not hurt. 3 comments on a post? Paul's had less. I hope.

To be honest, it doesn't really surprise me that I wasn't inundated with comments. It isn't easy to prove that Jesus is God from Scripture because he doesn't say, "I am God, and so is the Father and the Spirit." He does make allusions, though. And Mr. Keith hit on one: "I and the Father are one." But also regarding this unity, Jesus prays:
"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you." John 17:20,21
So one could argue that Jesus and God are unified like the church is; this passage is good, but is still a little unclear about Jesus' deity. And even though that egg illustration may help us understand how the Trinity works, an illustration cannot prove a point, it can only help us to better understand a proven point.

Here's my problem. We all believe that Jesus is God. You will be signing our Statement of Faith that subscribes to this at staff training. So WHY do you believe Jesus is God, if you are unable to prove it from Scripture? Don't be afraid to share the reasons, no matter how naive they may seem.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that Jesus is God because well I've been told from Pastors and my parents and from just different people. Also the verse that Cody used, "I and the Father are one." I believe that Jesus is the physical form of God therefore are the same person.

Anonymous said...

I think the answer is found in one of the names of Jesus that is perhaps the least used:
"Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." — Matt 1:23
In ancient Hebrew they did not give names lightly. It stood for the character and the purpose of a man. I think we have a human tendency to forget origins. Emmanuel simply means, "God with us," that God has come and dwelt among men. The miracle of Jesus birth was God the Almighty making Himself plain and known to our finiteness. To me, this is how Jesus is God.

Anonymous said...

I think i would have to agree with Brooke on this one that the name Emmanuel explains why Jesus is God. Emmanuel is the first name Jesus is given and it means "God with Us" and that says its right there, Jesus is the human form of God.