Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's-a Mario!

My son loves Mario 64. I noticed how intense this love was when I heard him telling his Kindergarten teacher all about Mario and his exploits. God bless her, she's so patient.

He's actually playing it right now as I type this! He's pretty good at it; he can beat Bowser all on his own. Yep, I'm a proud daddy.

Anyhow, I can't believe how often he gets stuck at a part of the game says, "I can't! I can't do it." He'll try once or twice and then determine that all hope is lost, and the only way out of it is to get me to do it for him. In his eyes, he is inadequate.
"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." - Phillipians 4:12,13
The apostle Paul had something to complain about, but he had such an amazing attitude, an attitude of abundance and not scarcity. He was tortured, shipwrecked, imprisoned, etc, etc, but this is what he writes. Why? He trusted that God would supply all of his needs. He knew that at the end of the day, it was God's strength and not his own.

Too many times things don't go as planned and we throw up our arms in frustration and give up. Who gives you strength? We often run into circumstances that seem impossible. How will it get done? Christ and Christ alone. The more we place our trust in him, the more we realize that our glasses are not half full or half empty. They are full!

Next time you find yourself thinking, "I can't," remember who gives you strength. Whose child are you anyways? God is always taking care of us no matter what and we need to rest in that truth.

No comments: