Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Poem by Cindy Taekema

Twas the eve before take off,
and all through the house,
no one was sleeping,
not even a mouse.

So much commotion
as final preparations were made
running around aimlessly,
like in a circus parade!

Visas are still pending,
not yet coming through
should flights be changed?
what ever should we do?

Maybe we could sneak
in the belly of the plane
then it would be free,
...yet a little too insane

After hours of stress,
nothing else can we do
yet alas, a glimmer of hope,
could it be true?

a window of opportunity,
the visa has come, horray!
Now we can leave legally
on the plane the next day

I had made my list
now am checking it twice
realizing I should have
taken mothers advice

"take only the essentials,
and not too much more"
for now all my luggage,
won't fit out the door!

Stressing now about luggage weight,
and what not to bring;
"should I pack my rock collection,
or my precious diamond ring?"

so many decisions
and things left to find
feeling so unprepared,
I was loosing my mind!

then there was a noise
could it be? is it true?
yes, up on the rooftip,
I found my lost shoe!

Now gaining back the confidence,
I pulled myself together
reminding myself
I was leaving to warmer weather!

No more of this snow
and famous Canadian winters
no more sneezing and shivering
and freezing my knickers!

now squeezing my last item
in the top of my bag
I quickly zip it closed
before it will snag.

Things are simmering down now
at the Taekema household,
feeling a more prepared
and a little more bold

"Am I ready to go?"
I ask to myslef
ready to leave all the teddies
and books on my shelf?

Well I guess it's too late
to start changing my mind
so I guess here I go again,
leaving you all behind.

But now all is calm
no more a big fright
and I say "best wishes to all,
and to all a good night!!"

No comments: